Monday, February 12, 2007

Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes (say this like your are David Bowie)

There is an old saying that the more things change, the more they stay the same. I think about that sometimes as I drive through the neighborhood where our Seattle store is located.

I grew up less than a mile away from here, so I've witnessed a lifetime of evolution and change of this locale. I remember when walk/don't walk lights were installed on 45th street in Wallingford. I wrote my first check at Fuji's 5 and Dime (and I remember contemplating the idea of stealing a piece of candy there, too! Never could, never did. But I remember entertaining the thought...)

Stone Way Avenue is evolving. So many more residential units are being built on upper Stone. My business partner Herb recalls hanging off the end of the trolley on his skates and getting a ride up the street when he was a kid.

So things change. Others never seem to. Like our store being on this same corner since forever.

It looks like Daly's will be making some changes in Bellevue. The downtown core had transformed to a point where the rent is almost doubling. Wow. Who'd have thought?

Daly's has been on the same street (although 3 different addresses) since 1961. When we moved in to Bellevue, the Evergreen Floating Bridge wasn't even built, yet. Bellevue Square was a small outdoor mall. There were 5 paint outlets within that many blocks.

Change is good. The more we flex and adapt, the better we are at keeping up with the times. Small changes are easier than large ones.

So, we are going to get serious about finding a new home for our Bellevue shop. Ironically, even with all the annoying construction and traffic - we've have some great business in Bellevue.

The adventure continues....

No comments: