Thursday, August 03, 2006

Making the Right Call

If you are starting a radio show, shouldn't you be excited about it? Telling everyone, including the checker at the grocery store?

I thought so too. So, that's why Christian and I decided to pull the plug on our radio show.

We were in a foggy place... not horribly opposed to doing the show on a station where we didn't feel our values were aligned, but things didn't feel crystal-clear either. I kept waitng for the fog to lift, giving me the feeling that this was the right path to take.

Even after learning we had a show sponsor, it just wasn't popping. Visiting the station last week was probably where it occured to me that the only thing that was clear was how unclear about it I felt.

Why, you ask? Conservative Talk Radio is a format I do not feel comfortable aligning myself to. While the weekend lineup is less intense, those are the listeners who will be tuning in on the weekend, and I don't think our style would really fit THIER sense of style.

Christian and I both feel that this is not the only opportunity we will have, and that helps. But it's very disappointing, I really DO want to reach out and communicate with people! But it has to feel right, or it's not fair to anyone.

Once we made up our minds, a huge sense of relief was there and that fog lifted. So, we made the right call this time.

But... no show for now. Bummer.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Would say that most of your customers are the conservative type...Home owners...kids...soccer etc. To stop a radio show that they had a sponsor for because of that reasoning shows me the whole C2 way of thinking...We are indpendent..We make all of our own ideas and where we are going...And main stream america doesnt matter. Can see why alot of the C2 dealers are bringing in other brands to bring in 'conservative" customers...then try to change them over to your brand. Because we our a "true independent". But you need the big names to bring in the customers then switch em....wouldnt a private label be cheaper than Insilx???

Seattle's "Paint Princess" said...

Dear Anonymous -
Huh?

I don't get where you are coming from at all.

C2 is a brand of paint - the company responsible for C2 is the Coatings Alliance. The Coatings Alliance is a growing group of about 50 independent paint dealers in North America.

I don't understand how you can rant and rave about C2 paint and link it to a tiny little radio show on a Saturday morning put on by me and Christian Ursino (who has NOTHING to do with C2!)... a BIT of a stretch to, say the least...

At my store, we are happy to help any customer - it doesn't matter if they are red, blue or purple. However, Christian and I have our own set of values we adhere to. Whoever said homeowners and families with kids had to be "conservative"? What is "mainstream" these days? Most people I know are a colorful mix of ideas, not ascribing to any label one way or the other.

It seems to me you have an agenda against C2 Paint and the Coatings Alliance dealers who choose to be a part of the Alliance.

Anonymous said...

So how about doing a podcast?